I’ve just finished revising the ending of Vengeance Will Come my first novel-length story.
So now I am looking for a few readers who would be kind enough to give me their written constructive criticism.
It’s a light-fantasy, set among the stars at a future time.
I’m just starting to write my blurb, but here’s a first cut:
Regent Danyel Abudra is unaware of the danger that lurks at his doorstep, or the lengths to which an old enemy will go to get revenge. He’s about to find out that it’s going to be worse than he could ever imagine, and survival is going to take everything he has…
Regent Menas Senay wants revenge at any cost and is willing to accept any offer of help to achieve it, even if that means aligning himself with a shadowy cult…
Both men will soon find out that vengeance has a cost that they must continue to pay…
It is about 476 pages long and 116k words.
What feedback am I after?
The kind of feedback that I am looking for is for your honest responses to the below kind of questions. The more feedback, the better…
- What did you enjoy (or not enjoy) about the story?
- Were there points in the story where you wanted to stop reading, or just had-to-read-one-more-chapter?
- Were you bored or confused at any points?
- Was the ending satisfying?
- Would you be interested in reading the rest of the series?
- What was the worst / best part of the story, if you had to pick?
- Would you recommend this story to a friend? Why or why not?
- Are the characters’ reactions to what is happening believable to you?
- How do you feel about the characters? What emotions do they evoke? (love, hate, frustrated, curious).
- Could you picture the characters in your mind?
- Do you understand the relationships between the characters?
- Could you “see” the setting where the action was taking place?
- Were there points where you feel I stuffed something up?
- Any points where my word-choice was distracting?
I am less interested in (but would still gratefully accept) grammar or typing errors, especially if it’s a mistake that I am making repeatedly which is jarring to the reader. Normally as a reader you can’t both do this sentence-level checking and enjoy the story… I’d rather have perspectives on the story as a whole than the nitty-gritty.
I’d be hoping to have the feedback in approximately a month’s time (early-mid November) if possible.
Yep, I’m up for it
Excellent. Just leave a comment below and I’ll be in contact with you.
However, I’m after a range of readers so please let me know:
- Your age / gender
- How many fiction books would you read in an average year?
- Do you normally read fantasy / sci-fi books?
- Do you have any experience in writing / editing / publishing?
I’d really appreciate your help, thanks!