For The Rebel Queen I must do some world-building of the Deckarian species.
Firstly, I need to be aware of what constraints I have put on myself through Vengeance Will Come. (In which Deckarians feature).
Secondly, I need to design how the Deckarians are as a species and how their civilisation functions.
I have admitted before that I can have world builder’s disease (excessive world building), but actually completing a story has given me impetus to keep completing stories.
To focus my work I’ve written a few dot-points of subjects that I want my world-building to cover.
- Terminology (how do they refer to themselves)
- Economy and concepts of ownership
- Government structures
- Key Industries
- Relationships and Social Roles
- Biology (from life to death)
- Living conditions (see also Society in Planning: Setting)
- Education standards
- Individual Aspirations and self-determination
- Military doctrine (defence, offence)
Taking this list, I then further define it with a series of sub-points, For example Religion becomes:
- What is the belief structure gods, priests?
- What is the meaning of life?
- How does it impact on society?
- How does it impact on personal or family life?
- What are the major observances?
- What’s the view of non-believers?
- Eternal life?
- How does one become a follower? Can one become an apostate?
- How strongly is it adhered to?
Even though that may look like a lot, I only plan on writing anywhere from a sentence to two paragraphs on each.