It’s been less than a week since the announcement of my crazy/ambitious goal of finishing editing by Christmas. So far I’m well ahead of target, having edited the first six chapters (16,642 words – initially 20,074 words).
This initial quick-progress was expected largely because I’ve already edited these chapters before, meaning there were less changes. It never ceases to amaze me that I’ve now been over these passages several times and I still find improvements. I think that’s why new authors can get stuck in the ‘eternal re-write’ loop. It is, however, my intention that the only editing I will do now on these chapters is limited to a) punctuation or b) at the direction of a professional. (The quick launch was also important, because there are going to be days when I don’t get my 1k words in… like when I’m studying up for interviews :))
During this editing blitz I did have one new scene to write. Fortunately I’d previously made dot-points on what the scene had to achieve, which sped things up. The goals for the scene were not only what happened in the scene but also added some support to later elements of the story.
I still ended up writing the scene about 1.8 times. The first time I wrote the scene it was functional – ticking the necessary boxes on my todo list. My re-write where I changed the tone of the conversation hopefully added some flavor to the story, as well as introducing just a touch of doubt around the plot.